"We live in a box of space and time. Movies are the windows in its walls." (Roger Ebert)

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Welcome to Retro Kino!

This is a blog about my passion for 80's movies, the pinnacle of pop culture as far as I'm concerned. Though I was too young to remember these movies when they were first screened in theatres, I grew up in the golden age of VHS which enabled me to enjoy these cinematic treasures. Thanks to DVD and the internet, 80's films are even more accessible than ever before. This blog will review the major classics and forgotten treasures from the 1980's decade. I'm giving myself a few years of leeway on either side of that guideline, as well as including some non-80's films which are evocative of the time or spirit of that age. Join me for a fun-filled trip down memory lane of the decade that has gripped the hearts and minds of a generation who refuse to grow up and let it go, just because it was just so much fun... back when people wore colors, used lots of hairspray, danced spastic dances, and took part in the last great party of Western civilization. They don't make 'em like they used to, but at least we've got the films to help us keep the nostalgia alive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm just letting you know that I'm really looking forward to what develops over time here. I popped by after reading about you on Rene's blog. I spent most weekends as a teenager with my arse in a theatre seat.There are truly not many films of that decade that I didn't experience on the big screen and I'm really excited about your blog.Good on you.
regards,DJdeeds.

Ramya J said...

I await your future posts with great anticipation! Type away, darling! :D

A KICK UP THE 80S said...

Good luck with your blog U.G.

I'll be a regular visitor. You can't beat those 80's movies. It makes me want to dig out all my old VHS copies!